[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migrations of people--Germans to Wohlynia

rlyster at telusplanet.net rlyster at telusplanet.net
Tue Apr 18 20:42:39 PDT 2006

Thank you Karl and John,
  My family were some of these fortunate or unfortunate souls to make these
journey's.  My mother was widowed (soldier husband) and lived for several
years under the Polish citizens who reclaimed their Warthegau land.  By shear
determination and the grace of God, she and her children escaped first to East
Germany and then to West Germany and finally to Canada where they were
sponsored by her father-in-law who had arrived in 1929.  My father was a POW
in Russia and was finally released in December 1949.  He found my mother
through the Red Cross (he is a brother of her first husband) and through that
connection found he still had a family somewhere in the world.  He too came to
Canada under the sponsorship of his father.
  My paternal grandparents were deported to Siberia before the first war,
grandfather from Mydzk and grandmother from Eschental (near the Black Sea).
They met and married in Siberia and lost 3 children on the trek back to Mydzk
in the 1922.  In 1929 my grandfather was lured by the promise of inexpensive
land in Canada.  Unfortunately he never accummulated enough wealth to send for
his wife and 7 children.  By the time the war was over, only 3 children
remained who finally joined him in Canada in 48, 49 and 50.
  I could never find reference to Warthegau and now it makes sense why not.
Thankyou for helping me locate where this was.

Rita Lyster