[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migrations of people--Germans to Wohlynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 19 04:43:39 PDT 2006

At 12:53 PM 16/04/2006, rlyster at telusplanet.net wrote:
>Hi Jerry,
>   You seem well informed of many historical things.  And you made reference
>that Catherine the Great was not responsible for German immigration to Russia
>except for Volga Germans.  Do you then know another reason?  I am very
>interested in understanding this.  Can you recommend some reading?
>   Also have you any more information about resettlement issues due
> to WWII and
>why these things happened?
>   I am trying to understand the movement of relatives from Wohlynia
> to Siberia
>to Warthegau and finally to Germany and then to Canada.  Also what was the
>impulse that had these folks also come to "America" in the early 1900's (my
>grandfather Ritz came for a couple of years and then went back).
>   I would be very greatful for any information or links to information that
>you could supply.

A couple of days ago, in responding to your question, Richard
Schienke wrote, "Self interest-Everyone desires to improve their lot
in life . . ."  I fully agree with that statement.  Of course the
full answer is always more complex than that but it applies even to
those who headed to Russia under Catherine's Manifesto.  Land was
available at reasonable cost and they wanted to take advantage of it.

As John Marsch has already pointed out, most of the answers to your
questions can be found in back issues of the SGGEE Journals.  He
already mentioned the two part article I wrote about the general
migration of Germans to the east.  There is another article by Albert
Breyer, translated from German, that details the migration of Germans
from the Gostynin Parish of Russian Poland to Volhynia.  While
specific to that area, the general principals outlined in it apply to
other areas as well.  There are articles and stories (in particular
one by Richard Benert) about the enforced migrations to Siberia and
the return.  While one can never know the specific reasons for each
family's decision to move, the articles provide some generic answers
to these questions in quite detailed form.

The migration into Russian Poland was a little different.  As Richard
Schienke pointed out, one significant factor was the development of
the cloth making industry, especially around Lodz but in other
regions as well.  Thousands of Germans flooded into the area of what
was then known as South Prussia.  When this region was later taken
over by Russia, many stayed while others continued on further to the
east and south.  Other Germans continued to migrate into the area
even after the Russian take over, working for Polish and German
nobility to develop their farm lands.  There was a mix of reasons but
the underlying answer remains - economic improvement.

For the benefit of those who may choose not to become SGGEE members,
I am providing here an excerpt from my two part article.  It is a
translated portion of text from the book, "Die Deutschen in Polen
seit der Reformation" (The Germans in Poland since the Reformation)
by Oskar Kossmann.  It will give you a feel for the migration that
took place from Russian Poland to Volhynia.

"In the years 1863 - 1867 the roads from Warsaw through Brest, Kowel,
Luck, Rowno, Zhitomir to Kiev (and also Warsaw through Lublin, Chelm,
Kowel and to Kiev) were strewn with German covered wagons, pulling to
the east.  Promotional agents frequently encouraged the colonists to
leave Congress Poland.  Others waited on the streets to escort them
and their goods to their new settlements.  The agents without
exception hunted down the settlers, overburdening them with their promises.

Pastor Hermann Steinberg, serving the absent minded people of the
congregations in Congress Poland which were scattered widely in that
area, had this concise comment about the emigration:  "Then the devil
filled the people with a pulling spirit that placed the beloved
Volhynia ahead of the heavenly kingdom.  They were attracted to
Volhynia by various methods - naturally to the benefit of the
landlords.  For example, we have the following colonists Song of Lies:
                         'There is a place on earth,
                         There everything will be full of happiness,
                         Only the path is a little crooked.
                         This is a very good land,
                         Man cannot find any sandy ground,
                         Because the farmer with gladness harvests
his fields twice,
                         And can shear his sheep twice.
                         Peas, lentils, sweet peas and beans grow big
as melons
                         even on the worst of the land . . .'."

The migration to Volhynia continued each year and through the
decade.  Pastor Rosenberg of the Gostynin parish wrote about this in
1875:  . . . "There is a second factor (besides the conversion to
sects) that caused the people to be overcome with the fury of
emigration to Volhynia.  Here the people made a good living from
difficult ground and they were always well off.  The value of the
land went up every year, and the Pole now finds himself in possession
of this abandoned place . . .  I believe that not ten years will pass
before there are no more dead to bury.  The remaining will, from year
to year, decide to take up their walking sticks for the pilgrimage to
Volhynia, abandoning the dead and their graves to their destiny.  In
villages where their used to be 30 evangelical families, there are
now only two.  As they move out into the wide world, it is inevitable
that the Pole will apply his ploughshare to the consecrated places
and church yards (cemeteries) and they will just be a memory."

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca