[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migrations of people--Camps run by Allies ?

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Sat Apr 22 20:33:23 PDT 2006

Nelson, I wonder if you meant to say Allies instead of NATO, since
the North Atlantic Treaty Organization was formally established in
1949.  I don't think NATO ever controlled camps for refugees or
displaced persons.

Reference: http://www.nato.int/docu/update/45-49/1949e.htm

Nancy

"February 1945. After six years of fighting and destruction, the
Second World War is coming to an end. The future of Europe will be
determined by the outcome of the Yalta Conference, which brings
together US President Franklin Roosevelt, British Prime Minister
Winston Churchill and Soviet leader Joseph Stalin. Agreements are
reached on such major issues as the creation of a United Nations
Organisation, the post-war administration of Germany, new frontiers
for Poland, and a commitment to the establishment of democratic
governments in all liberated countries.

But there are already signs that cooperation forged in time of war
between the Western democracies and the Soviet Union is coming under
strain. Negotiations designed to broaden the provisional Polish
Government quickly become stalled and so Poland is not represented
when the UN Charter is signed in June 1945.

March 1946. Winston Churchill warns in Fulton, Missouri, that "From
Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an Iron Curtain has
descended across the Continent." A year later, attempts by the
American, British and Soviet Foreign Ministers, meeting in Moscow, to
draw up peace treaties for Germany and Austria end in failure. To all
intents and purposes, the war-time cooperation has collapsed."