[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Emigration from Volhynia

Christopher Menke menke5616 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 25 12:35:45 PDT 2006

Hello All,
  After some of the recent discussions I have spent more time reading through some of the SGGEE Journals - excellent source of information. I have a question related to an article I read today....
  In the March 2000 issue in the article written by the Just Family (page 8), it says borders were closed to emigration from Russia, and from 1900-1914 Jewish agents helped people get out.
  My great-grandfather left Volhynia in 1900 so is it likely he had to sneak out rather than just leave? (He was 16). Also, he left from Libau - Was Libau under Russian control at the time?
  Thanks,
  Chris Menke