[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Leaving Volhynia

Nelson Itterman colnels at telus.net
Wed Apr 26 16:10:00 PDT 2006

Hello Christopher:
It was not 1900. Our family got out at Christmas 1926 (I was only two) and
it was in 1927 or early 1928 that the curtain came down. Mind you some
people had difficulty getting out. My grandfather was a land surveyor and
teacher, and he could not get permission to leave. He tried to flee across
the border in 1922 and got caught on the Polish side. He sent word to his
brother in Germany for help, but when they got to him he had already died in
jail. They said the walls of his cell were covered in biblical writings.
Nelson