[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family names question

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 26 06:40:58 PDT 2006

Hi Lexi.  Welcome to the list.

Lets review some of the clues before responding to the question.

Daniel's mother, Caroline, is travelling alone on this boat with 8
children !!!!  ranging in age from 3 to 15 - from oldest, Reinhard,
Daniel, Albertine, Gustav, Stephan, Johann, Hermann and Auguste.  If
they all survived to adulthood, bearing children, you have a very
extensive family from which to obtain info.  :-)

The 6 oldest children were born in Nowin, Russia.  The 2 youngest in
Konojad / Kossojad (?), Germany.  Caroline is 37 years old (= born
c.1872) in Draschbin (sp?), Podole, Russia.

The family has $1000 with them (seems rather wealthy compared to
others).  They are travelling to Eugene, Oregon to be with Wilhelm
Becker.  But how does he connect?  The oldest child, Reinhard reports
that this is his uncle.  All the other children show him as
father.  On the other hand, he is said to be a "friend" of
Caroline.   So is Caroline in fact the mother of these
children?  Caroline is noted as having a pockmarked face.

Before we make recommendations for the search, is there anything else
you can tell us about the family?

What religion were they - typically Lutheran, or Baptist?  I am
assuming they were not Jewish as typically they would have been noted
as such on the passenger list.

What do you know about Daniel's parents if anything?

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca