[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family names question - Daniel Becker

Donne, Alexsana ADonne at sara.com
Sat Aug 26 13:18:43 PDT 2006

Jerry:

First where did you find all this additional information?  I found the Ellis Island record, but it just listed names, so I assumed everyone traveling together with the last name of Becker was related, but not necessarily mother and children. But as to the $1000 and going to Oregon and the rest, I hadn't found that. Clearly there is more to the Ellis Island records than I found.

I found Daniel in Kimball, NE in 1917 which is where he registered for the WW1 draft (it looks like Novin, Nikolaiv, Russia on the part where he signed where he was born), and saying he had a mother to support. Then I found him in the 1920 census in South Dakota, which made sense as he married a Rosella Schenkenberger (who had 10 -13 siblings!), who lived in Emmons, North Dakot, but were mostly born in Bon Homme South Dakota  (her parents came from Russia also, mother was born in Baliev (sp?).

Daniel and Rosella were in California sometime in the 1920's as my dad and oldest aunt were born there, and then in Eugene for the 1930's Census.  I have found Reinhard and Hermann in census and registration cards, but only after they came to the US. I don't have any information on Daniel's parents, but assumed Caroline was his mother as a starting place. My mother remembers mention of them being Lutherans, and I remember hearing that they came from a part of Russia that went back and forth between Poland, but they definitely spoke German. I never remembered hearing Daniel's parents names, and neither does my mother.  My father is dead, and I am tracking down his sisters to see what they remember.

I am a newbie and have just started researching.  I have a copy of Greg Rath's book Black Sea Germans in the Dakotas. I've been to ancestry.com, familysearch.org, all the German-Russian heritage sites I can find, and am overwhelmed with branches to search as I hadn't been able to even find Daniel's city of birth.  At this point I am emailing and mailing my few living aunts to see what they can remember.

Any pointers to where to find additional information, such as what you've provided, would be greatly appreciated.

Lexi