[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family names question - Daniel Becker

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 26 17:42:58 PDT 2006

Lexi:

Regarding the additional information:  When at the Ellis Island site,
on the page with the extracted list of names (often extracted badly
with misspellings), you will see above the list a small box that
says, "View Original Manifest".  Click on it and you will be provided
with a view of the original.  In this case it brings up Page 2 of the
entry.  Click "Next" (not previous as you would expect), to view the
first page.  In many cases, though not always, these originals
contain much more info than is extracted.

It appears that Wilhelm was indeed the husband and not friend of
Caroline.  Based on Rose's comment, I went back to the list and
discovered that I mismatched the lines on the two pages.  She was
going to be with her husband Wilhelm and the line above indicates the
friend of the family.

So the next step is to look for Wilhelm on Ellis Island.  Since the
youngest child is 3, we bracket the search from 1905 to 1909.  By the
way, use http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellis.html for your
search.  It is simpler and easier to use and allows for sounds-alike
search that helps to deal with variants or misspellings.  Here I
found a Wilhelm Becker arriving in 1908 from Womyu, Russia.  Well
Womyu just doesn't sound right so could it be Volhynia?  The original
manifest tells us he was born in Pultow (?), Russia and that his last
residence was Nowya (sounds suspiciously like it could be Nowin) in
Wolhynien (= Volhynia), leaving behind a sister Louise Bauer.  His
age is 34 (sounds about right) and he is going to  (??) Michigan.

So the catch here is - if the last 2 children are born in Germany,
why is his last residence in Volhynia?  Why wouldn't his next of kin
be his wife?  And, did he then move from Michigan to Oregon?

I am not going to say for certain that this is the right Wilhelm but,
as a newbie, I think it shows you one more direction for making
progress with your search.  it seems like a good fit but there are
some strong question marks so I would suggest that you also look at
the other Wilhelm Beckers that crossed in that time period, including
those from Germany, to see if there is a better fit.

By the way, Nowin / Nowiny is located just south of the highway
between Zhitomir and Nowograd Wolhynsk, roughly 48 km NW of
Zhitomir.  Volhynian records do not show a Becker family there but
there is at least one at Nedbajowka, only 10 km to the NW.  Spreading
of the family to a nearby village post 1885 (when the records end) is
certainly possible.

Now it is time to throw a little wrinkle into the equation.  As you
are learning, this search can be a laborious process.  There was also
a Becker family living at Gross Gluscha in the remote far
northwestern corner of Volhynia.  Their largest nearby town was Newir
/ Nowir.  Is it possible that the "n" at the end of your place name
should be an "r"?  I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase but
keep this tidbit filed until you prove otherwise as it may be
valuable at some point in your search.

By the way, I haven't found a good match for a place like Pultow so
at this time it remains an elusive location.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca