[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] dialects

Verna Hutchinson verna2k5 at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 6 19:59:18 PST 2006

Hello List:

I've been fortunate  through the kindness of genealogists,in Europe & Canada
to further my ancestry

back another 4 generations. I started out with only  paternal Grandparents
arriving in Canada 1907 from Lutzk Volhynia

My maternal Grandparents arrived here in 1913 from Bessarabia.

I am now trying to find out where the ancestors immigrated from,before
arriving in Volhynia & Bessarabia .

The Bessarabian Grandparents spoke either low German. or Swabish.

The Volhynian Grandparents spoke a German closer to what the minister
spoke,which I thought to be high German

Would knowing the right dialect help in finding the area that the families
originated from?

 Thank you  Verna