[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] dialects

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 7 06:36:33 PST 2006

I don't know anyone who has managed to trace their ancestry by way of
dialect.  There are two main problems with attempting to do so.

First, dialect regions are large.  How would you know which family of
many in that region you fit into?

Second, there are often intermediate stages of migration between the
dialect origin and Volhynia or Bessarabia.  If you are missing a
generation or two of information, you cannot connect to the origin.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca