[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] changing names, assumptions, and other factors

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Sun Jul 30 06:09:33 PDT 2006

Karl:  your assumptions may be correct, but without the proof (and
maybe you can never find it), it's an unproven hypothesis.

Maybe you want to build a data base to chart the assumption(s) you're
building your GEDCOM on, and also chart other possibilities.  Then,
if and when you find additional info, you can check your assumption
factors.  I have built families based on assumptions that later were
found false when records of additional parishes revealed the families
of origin included more parental couples than my original assumption
contained.  (My research collaborator, "Cousin Tim," is good at
following the scientific method, and pointing out my assumptive errors.)

There are other possibilities, that the couple Samuel Taron &
Julianne Taron

are not the same as Samuel Taron & Julianne Fitz

or as Wilhelm Taron and Julianne Fitz

Have you looked at the death / burial records?

[More records may prove/disprove your theories, and can also create
more data and more chaos!]

Samuel could have had 2 wives named Julianne.  1852 - 1856 can be a
large interval in between the birth of babies, more frequently born 2
years apart, from the research I've done.  Or Julianne could be the
same person, and perhaps her marriage to Samuel is not her first.
The surnames Taron and Fitz could represent a first husband's
surname, and a maiden name.

Do you have birth / baptism records for Samuel and Wilhelm?  Consider
also that they could have been brothers, in addition to possible
cousins.  Have you seen marriage records for the couples cited?

Men frequently married their brother's widows so the children (their
nieces and nephews) would be cared for [a practice perhaps promoted
by the grandparents].  If you find any records (ie. death) that show
Wilhelm Taron a few years younger than Julianne Fitz, it might
support this theory.

If a Taron died in military service, the death may not be recorded in
the family's parish, but in the records maintained by the military
chaplains.  Deaths in the Prussian Army were also from cholera,
typhoid and diseases, in addition to combat.  Church records of the
military chaplains also recorded baptisms, marriages, and sometimes
confirmations.

 From my great-grandfather's service in the Prussian Army during the
1860s, here's what I know about the military life of one Prussian
man, his brother-in-law, from the obituary:
"Ludwig

Born January 24, 1839

Ludwig was born January 24th,  [1839], in Niedarzien [Niedarzin]
Province Pozen Germany.  He was baptized in Revier and after due
instruction, confirmed in the Ev. [Evangelical] Lutheran faith.  At
the age of 20 [1859] he was drafted to serve as a soldier and was in
training for three years [with the Prussian Army].  In 1863 he was
again called and sent to help guard the Russian border.  Hardly
discharged, he again was called to take up arms in war against
Denmark in 1864 and in 1865 against Austria, participating in some of
the fiercest battles at Getch and Koeniggraetz.

The Lord shielded him and in 1867 he sailed for America and located
in Chicago, Ill. "

The keywords here, 'fiercest battles,' and 'The Lord shielded him'
indicate to me that many of Ludwig's comrades in the Prussian Army
did not survive their military service.  The years cited in the
obituary, coincidentally, match the ones you cite in the birth
records of your ancestral family.  I believe military service of
three years in the Prussian Army was the standard for young men at
that time.

Nancy in Minnesota