[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Experienced Help needed with changing names

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 30 07:15:24 PDT 2006

Karl:

With the info you have, you certainly can make assumptions respective
to future research (which may then be proven right or wrong).  I
don't think you have enough to confirm a family tree.

1.  First, you have assumed that one of the Wilhelm Taron and Samuel
in Michelsdorf are brothers.  While not impossible, it would be
unlikely to have a Wilhelm Taron and a Samuel Wilhelm Taron as
brothers.  If you start with that assumption, then the assumption
that Samuel later prefers to be called Wilhelm would be wrong.

2.  As recently as the turn of the century in Friedenstal, Manitoba
records, I was merrily recording data for my Frank family when I
discovered an anomaly.  I forget now what it was but one piece of
data didn't quite fit what I already had.  Long story short, there
were two August Frank families living there with children who had
identical names and close enough ages to confuse the issue.  One of
these of course was my grandfather, August Frank.  I have no idea who
the other one was.  All I know is that border crossing records
indicate they later moved to Park St. in Benton Harbor, MI in the
1920s.  Confirmation records of the children indicate they were also
born in Volhynia, in a village just a few km from my ancestral
village of Anieluwka.  Perhaps that August was a cousin of my
August.  I raise the example simply to show that similarity of names
is not enough to prove relationship.

It appears that your situation with Lublin records, in spite of the
quantity, is difficult because of incomplete data shown.  That makes
it even more important to ensure that you not make assumptions.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca