[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] castle garden

Michael & Maureen McHenry maurmike1 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 25 07:52:27 PST 2006

You might visit the http://castlegarden.org/about.html website. They have an
option to contact them.

                                        Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of marlo
Sent: Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:27 AM
To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] castle garden

The latest issue of Ancestry Daily News listed an item form the New York
Herold of 24 March 1870.
It stated there was a fire at Castle Garden started
by a spark and fanned by winds.  The building was
saved however with damage of $4000 to the building and $1500 damage to books
belonging
to Commissioner of Immigration and valuable
records were destroyed.
I have never heard this mentioned, were they the
passenger records?  Possibly why I can't find
some of the records of persons arriving in this
country around that time?
Does anyone know of this?
Margaret