[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GARY WARNER - UMLAUT in ENGLISH

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun May 7 18:56:11 PDT 2006

> GARY ASKED:

> Please, it you would, tell me and the rest of the list, the proper
> way to say words that include an ä,ö,ü, and ß.

A following vowel dictates the use of an umlaut. (moving from the
gutteral back of the throat to the front of the tongue)
The following examples will sound it out in English for you.

Umlaut ä = English long 'a' sound.  (German regular 'a' is pronounced
as 'ah', as in "ah, yes.")

Umlaut ö = English sound is the same as the beginning of 'ai-r' (the
"air" is fresh-skip the 'r' sound and you have it)

Umlaut ü = English long 'e' sound.

ß = Simply is a double 'ss' (As in "glass")

. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."