[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Passports or Identity Papers

Greg Mason gmason001 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 21 17:36:19 PST 2006

There seems to be a pattern, at least between Virginia's evidence and
that possessed by my wife's grandfather.  He came from Nieszawa,
Poland through Ellis Island in 1906 and brought two documents of
which we know and have evidence.  One was a restatement of his
Lutheran Church baptism because the original baptism record had been
lost, destroyed, or perhaps never recorded.  So this restatement
includes testimony of the original witnesses and others to vouch for
the truthfulness of their statements.  Secondly, he carried his
discharge from his Russian Army service.  These two documents are the
only two that he brought with him for which we have any knowledge.
These documents also were used by him to complete his naturalization
in the early 1940s.  So, apparently, there was not a uniform policy
by the United States regarding entry paperwork in the early 1900s.
Greg Mason