[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Using 'Kartei Quassowski'

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Mon Oct 23 11:08:22 PDT 2006

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006, Otto <otto at schienke.com> wrote:

> Comment has been offered on the following resource named "Die Kartei
> Quassowski".
> If I wanted to extract information on, for example, my surname "Schienke",(
> I'll check the variations of the spelling of it) from the database,
> could you describe a step by step (a, b, c, d, and so on) walk-through of the
> procedure?    It is difficult to make sense of it as is.
> It would be helpful to me.
> It appears to be a useful resource.

   Dear Otto,

        OK, I'll try to write down instructions (though it's a few years
 since I've looked anyone up in the books).

        There are two sorts of Schienkes (as far as the Kartei Quassowski
 is concerned), those who are in the right place, and those who aren't.

       To find the Schienkes who are filed under Schienke, just go to
 the S volume, and look up Schienke in the normal alphabetical order.
 (There are a lot of S surnames, so it's possible that there are 2 or 3
 S volumes, in which case you look for the one with Sch names). That
 part is just like using an encyclopedia.

       The other step is to look for Schienkes filed in other places.
 If, for example, Ottilie Schienke married Adelbert Aardvark, that
 might be filed under A for Aardvark, instead of S for Schienke. To find
 those misplaced people, you use some index volumes, which give you
 cross-references to all the people who are filed under someone else's
 name.

      That's not too complicated, and it may have become slightly easier,
 because I think the web index
 <http://www.kartei-quassowski.de.vu/>
 finds the page numbers for both groups (those filed under their own name,
 and those filed under someone else's name) in one search.

         Hope this makes sense,

             Paul Rakow
             rakow at ifh.de