[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia as Germans from Russia -Revisited

Ray Bloch rbloch at columbus.rr.com
Thu Sep 7 08:31:21 PDT 2006

Another reason why those Germans from Polish Volhynia wanted to
differentiate themselves from Germans from Russian Volhynia following WWII
was due to the efforts of the Soviets to repatriate all former citizens back
to the Soviet Union.  My father and his brothers (all born in Russian
Volhynia) ended up in the West zone following the war and they were
constantly looking over their shoulders knowing that if they were ever
questioned by Soviet authorities, that there was a good chance of their
going back.  Since my two oldest uncles were in the German army, that was
the equivalent of a death sentence for them.  I don't consider it paranoia
on their part but rather dealing with reality.  They have first hand
knowledge of others being turned over by occupation forces in the West zone
to Soviet authorities, never to be seen or heard of again.  It's only been
in the last few years that my father and his brothers talk about their
experiences.  I do not believe that the Germans from Polish Volhynia had the
same concern.  I could be wrong.

Ray Bloch