[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 40, Issue 15

Joe Pessarra joepessarra at cox.net
Sat Sep 16 12:47:08 PDT 2006

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 09:40:34 -0600
From: Jerry Frank <FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] finding village endings in map
database
To: Mike McHenry <maurmike1 at verizon.net>,
ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Cc: Matt Warner <Matt at warnertechnology.com>

At 09:25 AM 16/09/2006, Mike McHenry wrote:
>I'm trying to search the Russian-Poland map database for villages. I'm
>having no success with the wildcards. I have used the other databases with
>success. In these particular searches I'm trying to find villages ending in
>czowa, szewo, etc. Can someone help me out?
>                                         Mike

Mike,

I think that our village database search is not currently set up to
accept wild cards.  I am copying this reply to Matt, our technical
administrator to see if it can be set up for such a search.  It would
certainly help in cases where spelling is uncertain.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca

Another choice is to use the Jewish Gen ShtetlSeeker at
http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp

It does not allow for wild cards, but does a pretty good job of picking up possible towns to match the spelling.

The distance is usually calculated to the capital city of the relevant country.  But, if you are interested in distnnce from a particular town that you know the correct spelling of, you can look it up, take its coordinates and choose the latitude and longitude for that city, or put the city and country in the third choice.  Makes the search task a little easier.

Joe in Texaas