[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Solomka / Friedrichsdorf on GOOGLE Earth

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 20 18:59:01 PDT 2006

Quite a few of our readers have ancestry that takes them back to
Solomka / Friedrichsdorf in Volhynia.  You can zoom right into this
village via satellite image and GOOGLE Earth.

The coordinates are North 50' 49" 26 and East 26" 13" 58.

If you pull back to about 9200 ft. eye level elevation, you will see
that Solomka lies at the north end of a rough triangular clearing in
the forest.  For some reason GOOGLE chooses to identify the now
extinct village of Goncharykha which is the location of Sredneye
Solomka.  Solomka Nakoty was at the bottom point of the
triangle.  Though neither of the latter two villages exists anymore,
you can still make out the roads along which the houses used to
stand.  By moving the cursor around, you can see that this triangular
piece of land is in a shallow valley at around 600 ft.
elevation.  The forest to the east, south and west ranges up to 670 ft.

If you move a little to the northeast of there at North 50' 51" 35
East 26" 17" 59, you will find Berestowitz

By the way, I like to set a slight tilt to the view.  This adds
perspective and depth to the image.  Makes it appear more like you
are looking out the window of an airplane rather than straight down
from outer space.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca