[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Place-names in Russia.

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 10 13:01:40 PDT 2007

I am copying this response back to the list.  There may be other readers who have an interest in this family name which you did not mention in your previous postings.

Volhynia was part of Russia prior to WW I.  After that, the western half, where Gross Gluscha was located, became part of Poland.  Hence your references to Volhynia Poland and Volhynia Russia.  All those places were most likely in Russia at the time of the events but perhaps in Poland at the time of migration to North America.

Any rumour that Gottlieb had an earlier wife?  I note that he is 31 at the birth of the first child on your list.  If you go to http://www.odessa3.org/search.html , enter Tepper in the first search box and set the search for St. Petersburg Archives, you will find the birth of a Wilhelmine Tepper to Gottlieb T. and Julie Schindel at Gr. Gluscha.  If this is your Gottlieb, he would be 24 at that time which makes sense in terms of normal marriage time frames.

I question the birth of the eldest on your list as taking place at Gr. Gluscha.  As far as I know, the Lutheran Germans and Mazovians did not start moving into the area until the late 1860s.  Perhaps the Teppers were among the first to live there but it may also be that these people were born elsewhere.

You should consider joining SGGEE.  There are several hundred Teppers in the database including at least one Gottlieb born in 1859.

I still think that Welika and Wulka might be reference to the same place, depending on your source material and the interpretation of handwriting.  In the next day or two I will see if I can find a Dombrowka and Wulka near each other.

Finally, go to this page http://www.sggee.org/church_parishes/LutheransInVolhyniaKievPodolia and scroll down near the bottom to view the special list of records for Neudorf on the Bug.  The pastor from this parish also served the Gross Gluscha region and you might find family info in those records.

Jerry