[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans and Poland

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Mon Apr 23 10:01:58 PDT 2007

Margaret,

 We have experts on this list who can better tell you about Loroff,
Schwochow and Villwock.  My ballpark guess would be that since over the
centuries Germans and Slavs intermingled in central Europe, these families
could be genetic mixtures.  If they are, wonderful.  I'm married to a
Pole/Ruthenian.

But the two cents worth that I really want to throw out (once again) is that
I think many people are needlessly perplexed by the fact that Germany wasn't
unified until 1871.  This may make a difference when it comes to who issued
passports and other papers, but this doesn't mean that there was no German
"nation" before that.  In a loose sense there was a German nation at least
as far back as the Middle Ages, when you had, after all, a "Holy Roman
Empire of the German Nation" (Heiliges Römisches Reich deutscher Nation).
German literature and history are filled with references to a "nation" of
Germans.  Above the welter of independent cities and petty principalities
(and some not so petty), there was at least always a nation in a cultural
sense.   But this is a complex subject, but I'm pretty sure that what I'm
saying holds some truth.  Even if your 16th- and 17th-century ancestors were
partly Slavic, you can still say that they were partly German (as opposed to
say, Hessian or Pommeranian or Saxon).

Dick Benert