[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Urbach

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Aug 15 03:58:56 PDT 2007

gpvjem schrieb:

>    I have been given some birth place of some cousins as Urbach, Kreis Welun, Volhynia.  I have exhausted my resources, including Stetl Seeker but have not beem able to establish the whereabouts of such a place outside of Germany.
>    Has anyone any suggestions?
>
>John Marsch

Hello John,
Urbach was one of the Nazi renamings in Poland during WWII. It is listed
as a forced labor camp for male Jews from May, 1941 to August, 1942 in
the "Reichsgau Wartheland", Lodz province. Maybe it was later used for
the co-location of Volhynian remigrants.

The Polish name is Turów, a village of presently 600 inhabitants, 4 km
wsw of the town center of Wieluń (renamed to Welungen in 1941).

Günther