[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Szczepanski?

LEN GOLKE lengolke at msn.com
Fri Feb 2 11:31:50 PST 2007

I too am looking at a Polish or German surname.  It is Cicewski, or Von Cicewski in its Prussian form.  My mother always said their family was German, but they lived in Schneidemuhl which was formerly and is now Poland.  Is this a German surname or a Polish surname?  My great grandparents were Catholic.  I do know the history of Poland and its divisions, I am just unsure as to whether my parents were told they were German in the 1700s, but were in fact Polish.  As far as I know they did not move from anywhere.  sue Golke