[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Szczepanski?

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Fri Feb 2 14:09:24 PST 2007

Jerry,

According to my Polish co-worker, the ski is just an ending for the
name- it has no meaning.

Everything I have seen in our databases seems to indicate that
Schmidt does equate to Kowalski, just as Kirschbaum (cherry tree)
equates to Wisniewski, which comes from the Polish wisnia (cherry tree).

Do they need to equate?  For most people, perhaps not.   For me to
match up families that have differing family records, however, it is
important to know that the names equate, since no computer program
will match up the two differing names during a merge of data.

Gary Warner