[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] SCHWOCHOW

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Feb 2 16:46:27 PST 2007

Marlo50 schrieb:

>Otto, now you bought up a thought.  My family history has a name Schwochow
>and I don't know where they came from except Pommern.  You say the Germans
>added an "ow"
>to sound more Prussian.  Can there be a name Schwoch and would it be German?
>And do you know when this was done?  I have an Andreas Michael Schwochow who
>was born in 1813 perhaps in Kreis Rummelsburg.
>Any help?      Margaret

Margaret,
no, since Schwochow [Swochowo] was a village in the Pyritz district of
Pomerania (12 km northwest of Pyritz) and you can be sure that your
SCHWOCHOW ancestors came from there. It was founded before 1300. I don't
think that its name was originally German since the first nobilized
owners of Schwochow called themselves "von SCHWOCHOW". Later owners were
v.BORCK, v.der SCHULENBURG, v.PODEWILS, v.PUTTKAMER, Freiherren v.der
GOLTZ and v.KUNOW.

The apparently original Pomeranian / Polish root 'swoch' derives
(genitive plural) from 'swoj' = 'his' and means 'of his' [land, properties].

The only similarly sounding German word 'schwach' = 'weak' can hardly be
the name origin of Schwochow.

Guenther