[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tysmienica and Volhynia

Carole rschlesselman at comcast.net
Sun Feb 18 16:12:20 PST 2007

I received an e-mail from Pat who found that Tysmienica was a judicial district, administrative district was Thumacz, in the Ukraine.  Pat found this in the Lenius gazeteer of Galicia.   My grandmother said she was born in Tysmienica, Galicia, Austria.  I am assuming then that Tysmienica is not a town or village and that I really don't have enough information on my grandmother's birthplace.  I do not know the correct spelling of her maiden name but I do remember my father pronouncing it like Michalevich.  I have found Michalewich and Michalewicz.  I know that her father's name was Johann and her mother's name was Marie Tuczek (I have found little of that spelling but have found Tluczek)   My grandmother, Frances Michalewicz (sp) was born January 6, 1881.  Where would birth records be for the judicial district of Tysmienica?  Grandma married my grandfather Ludwig Henkel who was born in Malinowka near Chelm, Poland sometime before 1900.  According to an uncle they were married in Volhynia, Russia.  They had 2 children, Carl Henkel and Marie Henkel.  My German Bible only says they were born in Russia.  Carl was born August 15, 1901 and Marie was born July 30, 1906.   I know that Ludwig's sister, Sofia Henkel, was married in Volhynia to Alex Ruchotski.  Ludwig, Johann and Sofia Henkel all emigrated from Volynia to Manitoba, Canada between 1901 and 1909.  Is there a town Lutzk in Volhynia?   Many questions, I know, but would really appreciate some help.

Carole