[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kaminski ethnicity

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Mon Feb 19 08:49:38 PST 2007

Nelson,

I knew if I waited long enough to reply that
someone else would provide the answer.  Günther
seems to have done that by noting that there is an Itter river.

So, unless Itter is also an object or a
profession of some kind, which I could not
discover, then probably there was no Polish
equivalent of the Ittermann name.   That is not
to say that there definitely was no name change,
because my family surname morphed from Jaeger to
Geiger and then back to Jaeger and then finally
to Warner, and it had nothing to do with equivalency of names.

I think the answer to the question of surnames is
to keep an open mind when you are doing
research.    In addition to making changes in
surnames to make then equivalent in another
language, or to make the name possible to
pronounce in a different language, sometimes
names are just written down incorrectly by the
pastor in the original records.    Oddly enough,
I believe some families adopted the incorrect
spellings of their names, probably simply to
conform to the rest of their society.

Gary Warner