[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] The name Matschulat

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Feb 21 05:30:21 PST 2007

Linda K Bowen schrieb:

>The St Petersburg marriage records for  Heimthal, 1885 list my great grandfather's marriage record, August Bloch to Emilie Matschulat . The writing is very  clear.  Family history says her first marriage was to a  Matschula.
>This seems like a very unusual name for this area.   I have found one entry in Heimthal  for  a Samuel Michalek and one for Rosalie Michaelis. I think these may be the same name. Does anyone have any insight into the name?  I'm wondering if this is the Phoenetic equvalent of a Polish name? Her maiden name was Stebner.
>  Also, does anyone know if I can get this marriage record from the Archives in Warsaw?

Linda,
there is no relation between MATSCHULAT and MICHALEK.
MATSCHULAT is Lithuanian and derives from MATULA, a nickname of Matwiej
(Matthew) whereas MICHALEK is a nickname of Michal (Michael).
If you enter the spelling version MACZULAT into the IGI, you get just
results from northeastern East Prussia and Lithuanian christian names
like Enskys, Annikke, Dowids and Jewa. Also the spelling MATSCHULAT
returns results from East Prussia, of course with German christian names.

Günther