[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Medyn/Medynk/Medyk

Christine Dowd dowd at mac.com
Thu Feb 22 07:04:27 PST 2007

Hello Listers,

 I seemed to have reached somewhat of a brickwall in my research for my
Medyn ancestry and am looking for some guidance.

My great grandfather, Jan Medyn/Medyk/Medynk was a manager of the estate at
Ciemianka, just north of Stawiski, Kolno. The papers (manifest,
naturaliztion, marriage) of my grandfather Piotr (Jan's son) list his home
as Lachowo, Grabowo, or Golanki, all just miles west of Ciemianka.

Jan's death certificate states his father - my great, great grandfather -
was Wilhelm, which seems like a German name to me, otherwise, wouldn't he be
Bolesl~aw?  He died in 1946, and the record states he was 90 years old,
making his birth around 1856.

The church organist in Lachowo sent me written information regarding my
grandfather's birth certificate. (he has no copier, the records for Lachowo
have not been filmed for this time period - 1882). He stated that Jan was
from Kownaty, par. Dobrzyjal~owo, gmina Pia~tnica. I have looked at filmed
records from this parish and can find no Medyn/Medyk/Medynks.

I DID though find a Wilhelm Medynk in Grabowo as father in birth records for
1850, 1852, 1854.  Since the films for Grabowo include births through 1870,
if this Wilhelm were my gg grandfather, the birth of Jan, about 1856 should
have been located here. I found no birth record for Jan.

I also found Ludwik Medynk in Poryte, with children born between 1858 and
1870, no Jan among them, some children spelled Medyk and some Medynk.

I also found an Emil Medyn arriving Philadelphia from Glowinsk (near Rypin)
as well as a Meding family from Rypin.

Finally, kind souls on this list suggested the name could have been Meding
in German, Medynk in Polisk, and a cousin from Poland thought that the
family could have come from East Prussia.

So my questions are:

Were Ciemanka/Lachowo/Grabowo/Golanki ever in the area of East Prussia? I
found various maps, and it appears the border was close...(how close?) but
wondering if they were ever actually in East Prussia itself. Can anyone
suggest a good map?

Does it make sense that family have could have come from Rypin?

After reading all the posts, I am wondering if the family was originally
Lutheran or evangelical? Any thoughts?

I have traced my other three grandparents rather successfully, but this
family is the thorn in my genealogy side.  Any help/suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thank you!
Christine Dowd
Rochester NY