[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Medyn/Medynk/Medyk

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 24 07:55:35 PST 2007

Lots of stuff to sort through in your posting, Christine.  Here are
some comments.

1.  It is quite possible that Wilhelm moved from Grabowo to Kownaty
where Jan would be born.  My grandfather's birth record had not been
discovered for many years until I researched a neighbouring parish
where the family had moved for about 6 years before returning to
their original location.   In what parish did you look for Jan's
birth record?  Closest I can see on my map are at Jedwabne,
Dobrsyjalow, Olszyny, and Lomza.

2.  The border between Russian Poland and East Prussia in this area
ran in a roughly SW-NE direction a few km north of both Kolno and
Szczuczyn.  It did not change between 1815 and WW I.   The family
certainly could have migrated from East Prussia but they were not
living there in the time frame you mention.  See the Szczuczynski map
at http://www.pgsa.org/PowiatMapList.pdf

3.  You would want to keep your options open about a possible origin
in Rypin but there does not seem to be any evidence for that at this time.

4.  Religion - What religion was your family upon arrival in North
America?  That is typically what they would have been in Russian
Poland.  I assume that the church in Lachowo where you found the
record was Catholic.  The churches at this time kept the Civil
Records on behalf of the government so a Lutheran (in Europe the same
thing as Evangelical) might register at a Catholic Church if the
distance to the Lutheran Church was too far.

5.  There was a significant sized Lutheran Parish in Lomza with a
small affiliate at Szczuczyn.  The latter had services in the Polish
language due to the strong Mazurian influence in the area.  My source
does not list the villages where these Lutherans lived.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca