[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ceckin Germany

Lanzaro, Lawrence R MONMOUTH DOIM Lawrence.Lanzaro at us.army.mil
Fri Feb 23 11:37:36 PST 2007

I have a German ancestor who was married in Brooklyn, NY in 1885. On the marriage certificate, it says she was born in Ceckin, Germany. It is written quite clearly. I have checked several resources but cannot find Ceckin. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Her maiden name was Bertha Nowasky. Her sister, Amelia Nowasky, married my great-grandfather, Longinus Leier, in 1883. They were all married in St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church in Brooklyn. The Leiers and Nowaskys arrived in the U.S. around 1880. Bertha's marriage certificate is the only evidence I have of an actual town in Germany where they may have come from.

Larry