[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ceckin Germany

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Feb 23 14:03:31 PST 2007

Jerry Frank schrieb:

>Obviously I cannot offer a guarantee that this is the correct place without some other evidence.  However, a good possibility is Cekcin / Cekzin / Seehaupten located in West Prussia (today Poland).  Search for it at http://www.kartenmeister.com for more details.  Or use http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp which will lead you to a map that shows it.
>
>The nearest parish centre is probably Tuchel / Tuchola.
>
>This also seems like a good fit because of the Slavic sounding Nowasky surname which is more likely to appear in Prussia regions rather than other parts of Germany.
>
>I'm not sure what type of marriage certificate you have.  Most that I have seen would also include some reference to a parish or province as well as the village.  If you'd like to send a scan of it to me privately, I will see if there is more info on it.

Hello Larry,
forget my Czech proposal, I think Jerry is right. The Polish name of the
community is Cekcyn, its German spelling was Cekzin. But there were two
of them: Polnisch Cekzin [Cekcyn] in the Tuchel district and Deutsch
Cekzin [Ciechocin] in the Konin district. The CRO was in Summin resp.
Osterwick, the catholic parish in Polnisch Cekzin resp. Osterwick. The
catholic parish registers of Polnisch Cekzin (1802 to 1909) are
microfilmed as well as its CRO records (Summin, 1874 to 1882).

One of the most common surnames in Poland is NOWACKI (24910 events in
the www.herby.com.pl database ; note the -cki suffixe) and this might be
the original spelling of your ancestors. The according German spelling
is NOWATZKI.

Günther