[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] DNA testing

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 13:59:48 PST 2007

If you are interested in thousands of years then that is what National Geographic's genographic project is studying - the migration patterns of humans over history. This will group you with millions of other people having similar backgrounds as yours and others where you might have common deep ancestral roots.

  When you talk about your "rare" mutation has anyone else been found to have that variant? If so perhaps there is a "recent" lineage you share (like within the last 10 generations) which is just the point of doing these test with a genealogical interest. If it is unique then the question becomes when did this variant first show up - or more correctly, when did this mutation occur? In this case it is possible that it is unique to your family and other closely-linked families bearing that Y chromosome.

  Just for the record, all the variations you see in any collection of DNA markers are truly variations or polymorphisms - they are not mutations. Mutations are only when a change in the DNA sequence occurs. At some point all variations started as mutations. Because all living species have such diversity/individuality it is incorrect to say we are all mutants. Mutation can also carry the connotation of a DNA sequence passed down that confers a biological or functional consequence, normally deleterious, to the individual. For our DNA markers of interest, these are certainly not in this category.

Marcia Momose <marcia_momose at hotmail.com> wrote:
  By "deep" origins, I am speaking about thousands of years as opposed to
hundreds of years.
I had the Y-DNA test run on 37 markers for my Riedke and on 12 for the Baum
lineages.

Also, when I said there were rare mutations, I was not suggesting "special."
"Rare" can mean many things, and when I said rare, I meant that there was no
male in the sampling that was first done to categorize the various I
Haplogroups who had both the I13 and I14 mutations. Therefore, there is
possibly another category or subclade that needs to be added. When very few
people have a mutation, it is considered a "private" mutation, I believe.

Marcia Ritke-Momose
researching Riedke, Baum, Polsfuss and Bresch