[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Grams in Poland RE Villages

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 27 06:15:48 PST 2007

Penny,

Tuczyn and Tutschin are the same place, just variant spellings that
sound almost identical when pronounced.  Tutschin was also a parish
in later years.

Zhitomir and Shitomir are also the same place.  Your family probably
did not live there.  This was the name of the Lutheran Parish that
served the places where they did live.  It was quite far away but the
parish was very large.  See
http://www.sggee.org/parish_histories/church_history for a link
providing a diagram as to how and when the parishes developed.

Rowno was also later a parish but it was also a district name so that
could be the connotation.  Rivne is the form as precisely
transliterated from Russian Cyrillic.  Rowno / Rovno is the German form.

Kutozowka is some distance east from Tutschin.  Keep in mind that
some families moved around a lot within Volhynia.

There are at least 3 Kamenka in Volhynia where Germans lived.  One of
these was about 18 km NE of Tutschin so it is probably the one you
would look for.

A significant number of Germans in Volhynia were cloth makers,
especially in the early years.  As automation entered that market,
many of these Germans turned to farming.  Your Grams family may have
kept on in that industry.  There will be a presentation at this
year's convention on Germans in the cloth making industry in Russian
Poland and Volhynia.

When you refer to discrepancy between "2 files", I assume you mean
between what Ewald provided you and what you are finding in the SGGEE
databases.  Family lore and errors in extractions can contribute to
errors. The truth, as close as we can ever find it, is in the actual
church records.  You should double check these records to determine
which dates are accurate.

Jerry Frank