[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Malowana/SCHINDEL

Jack Leigh jack.leigh at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 27 10:32:58 PST 2007

Thanks very much for the information Jerry.

My mention of "Wola Malowana" was prompted by a Google search for
"Malowana" which returns "Wola Malowana".  The locations appear to be
identical, so I think I can conclude that "Malowana" is now "Wola Malowana."

Johann Phillip RING's wife Anna Marie (as the family shows her name) was a
SCHINDEL (not a SCHINDLER), a first cousin of my wife's great grandfather
Philip SCHINDEL.  My wife's grandfather (Jacob's youngest surviving
brother, also named Philip), emigrated in May 1893 with a group of 44
"Germans" bound for Winnipeg, and the RINGs are part of the group.  There
are also BABERs, GOLINGERs, more RINGs, and more SCHINDELs so four of the
five surnames that were in Jacob's original small group are in the later
larger group.

Since BAKER is the surname missing from the second group, I wondered if it
might be a mistake for BABER.  But I think that a BECKER family travelled
with my wife's SCHINDELs over the years since they left Bechtolsheim,
Germany, in 1783, so I'm not sure.

Heinrich SCHINDEL and Katharina SCHMIDT are also members of my wife's
family, Heinrich being another first cousin of my wife's great grandfather.
 They emigrated to near Melville SK in 1903.

So does anyone know how emigrants travelled from eastern Poland to Hamburg?

For others interested in the SCHINDEL and related families, the book "Sand
Über Welke Blätter -- Eine Familienchronik über 300 Jahre" ISBN
3-00-009740-6, by Hartmut Meyer-Ohrt of Hamburg, published by BMO-Verlag
GbR in 2003, is a history of the SCHINDELs.  Hartmut has explained the
title as follows:

"Sand über welke blätter" was a saying by our forefather's, which meant in
the Rhein area of Germany and later in Galicia/Volhynia, "forget it",
"tempi passati" or "c'est la vie."