[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] food spelling please

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed Jan 24 16:01:02 PST 2007

Thank you Alfred!
That is it!   Schakescherke!

For years I've wondered if my rascally Dad was using the correct
pronunciation.
We would petition our mother to make it for us.  It was different.
I use the potato scherke, but not the milk base for the soup.
My Dad, an avid meat and potatoes man, would tease Mom for making it
for his children by calling it "Schacherscherke" or "Pracherscherke".
(pracher is east prussian platt for beggar)
We loved it.
My aunt Ottilie Schultz von Lipno would make it for us also.
(her youngest daughter was named Olga Schultz)
I will write you privately.

On Jan 24, 2007, at 6:17 PM, Alfred Kroll wrote:

> I believe the soup you are referring to is called Schake Scherke. I'm
> not sure of the spelling, but schake is Platt (low German) for
> potato. The potato is grated and mixed with egg and flour. This is
> called scherke in Platt. The mixture is then dropped in small amounts
> into the boiling milk soup. The milk soup has flour added to thicken
> it a little and salt is added.
>
> My mother (Olga Schultz) who came from Wiesendorf (near Lipno) used
> to make it for us when we were youngsters. My wife (Ida Radke/Heise)
> who comes from Kreis Rippin remembers it too.
>
> Al Kroll

. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 14, 2007