[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Evangelical Church Establishment

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Sat Jun 16 21:35:52 PDT 2007

    Thank you Howard for your digging and comments.
    I am still puzzled by the fact that there are Gruenberg Evangelical records in what are primarily Catholic LDS films in the 1689 -1816 LDS film 1,608,624, for example.  If there was an Evangelical parish established in Gruenberg at that time, why would Evangelical records be recorded by the Catholic church if indeed that is the case?
   There also appears to be civil records for the area of Gruenberg as early as 1582 (LDS film 1,203,309).
In addition to Gruenberg itself, I am particularly interested Evangelical records pertaining to the nearby towns of Sawade, Heinersdorf, Lansitz, Krampe and Schertendorf.  All places are mentioned repeatedly in the civil records filmed by LDS.

John Marsch
--------------------------

  According to Kowallis-A Genealogical Guide and Atlas of Silesia, a German
  book published in 1838, Gruenberg must have been an early Evangelical
  parish, as this reference lists the marr. and death records as beginning in
  1679; however in a 7 km. distant village of Drentkau the Evangelical records
  begin at 1582;Zauche records to begin in 1582; starting dates for the other
  villages surrounding Gruenberg appears to be around the 1679 period.
  I believe that generally speaking, the early church scribes maintained the
  records for the state/district. Civil registration came into being much
  later. I gather that the response at the local parish to the request by the
  church hierarchy to maintain written church records, was sporadic and so
  there was a variation in the time that various parishes began to record the
  official functions of the church.
  Howard Krushel