[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fwd: TEISE

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Thu Mar 29 14:32:29 PDT 2007

Ivan Teise schrieb:

>I have looked already for Theise spelling, but as I said to Gary, I don't
>know how long the family lived in Volhynia. I spoke to a Theise from Ukraine
>who lives in Germany, that has members in his family with the surname Teise
>too. He said it is probably a misspelling when this part of the family was
>deported to Siberia.
>
>Moreover, I wrote to the Archive of Zhitomir asking for the birth of my
>grandfather Ludwig Teise, and I got an answer saying they only found a
>Ludwig These.

Hello Ivan,
you can be quite sure about the identical origin of the THEISE, THESE
and TEISE names. Apparently the reason is the Russian alphabet which has
no 'h' and where 'ei' isn't pronounced 'ai' like in German [English:
eye] but eï [English: May]. So if somebody pronounces 'Teïse', most
Germans will understand 'These' (English: thesis) and write it like the
common word. On the other hand, if a Russian hears a German say
'Theise', he will write in cyrillic 'Тайзэ' which is turned back into
the German 'Teise'.

Günther