[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Graenke surname

Reiner Kerp mail at reiner-kerp.de
Thu May 17 01:28:15 PDT 2007

Hello Rose,

welcome to the funny-farm!

> In 1820 the records the records start with Polish writing and some
> names are written in Polish.  1822 I find two records showing
> parents as a Pawel Wa,siewski and Wa,soski and Elisabeth Heg.
>
> I don't know what to make of this.

In Sompolno oo 1857/37 thje bride ist named as Anną Krystyną GRENKE vel
WĄSOWSKĄ (the pastor here "officially" records the varaint).

In Sompolno oo 1844/43 is a "Michał WĄSOSKI" born abt 1826/1829 Lubsin whose
name is verfied as GRENKE. Parents are Paul GRENKE and Ludwiga HEIN.

WĄSOWSKI comes from  wąs which means beard. This is taken from the very far
spiky hairs of a ear.

HEG should be read as HEY (a very common transcriptional change - see also
MANTHEY => MANTIG/K).

The variant ZIELINSKI is well known.

But be aware of the German variants:
GREN-KE is the diminiutiv of GREN. An often found variant of that name is
KRENC. Changing the G to K and the Genitiv-S to C. Another is KRAHN (GREN)
ore KRAN(T)Z, replacing the E by an A.

Best wishes,

Reiner