[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname: Domin/Tomin

Nks883 at aol.com Nks883 at aol.com
Thu Oct 11 08:03:31 PDT 2007

I am researching my Domin ancestors and looking for others researching  this
surname.  The Domin name has several variations (Tomin, Dominik,  Dorzein,
Dommin) and several of these are found on the SGGEE Master Pedigree  list.

My g-grandparents were Gotfryd/Frydryk Pietroski, son of Katarzyna
Pietrowska.  He married Ewa/Eva Domin in 1861 - Szynwald, Rypin,  Poland.  Ewa/Eva was
the daughter of Szymon/Simon Domin and Maryanna  Pokrant.

My gg-grandparent, Szymon/Simon Domin was the son of Jacob "Tomin" &  Dorota
"Klodowska" and was born in Kretki Wieki/Kretki Wielkie.  His wife,  Maryana
Pokrant was the daughter of Jan Pokrant & Ewa Szliska/Schlieske and  they were
married 1836 - Kretki Wielki.  In 1837, son Jacob was born, but  died the same
year.  I do not know when my g-grandmother Ewa/Eva was born,  but she had
siblings Karol/Karol Domin born 1846, Elzbieta Domin born ?, died  1853 and
Maryanna born 1854, all in the village of Kretki Duze.

Other surnames that the Domin/Tomin ancestors are associated with through
marriage are:
Skuza/Skura, Szulc/Schultz, Olszewska, Szlyske, Schober, Szyman,. Osielska,
Plyt/Plitt, Krol, Thiel, Gotszal, Rozenau,  Szubert, Westfal, Pietrowska,
Pietrowski.

My Domin's were associated with the villages of Szynwald, Kretki Wielkie  and
Kretki Duze.  Other Domin's (most likely related) were associated with
Kamionki, Osiek and also the above three villages.

I am wondering if the Domin name was changed from Tomin and/or was the name
Domin an abbreviated form?

If anyone has been researching any of the above villages or surnames, have
you come across the Domin surname or do you have a Domin/Tomin in your family
history?  I am also wondering where the Domin's came from before living in
the area surrounding Rypin.  Can anyone PLEASE help?  I would greatly
appreciate any input.  Thank you.

Nadine Erdman Saiki