[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] LODZ FHC FILMS

Ted Belke belketb at telus.net
Sat Oct 27 12:29:29 PDT 2007

Mike & Rose

This is a late response but perhaps helpful nevertheless. Two of my
Grandmothers were also diagnosed with Trachoma prior to boarding ship in
Danzig 1930. This was a contagious disease which was of concern in the
crowded conditions on immigrant ships. Both of them were not permitted to
board and had to remain behind with other family members who also did not
leave because of that problem. The passenger list for the ship my
Grandmother, Uncle and his family intended to sail still included them but a
line was drawn through all their names on the list. Perhaps this is what
happened to Rudolf Manzei and he came some time later after the condition
cleared up. On the other hand my family members were left in Europe and had
to live through the war because later in 1930 or early 1931 immigration to
Canada was halted due to the great depression.

ted