[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish for Wolter?

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 30 10:04:53 PDT 2007

Thanks to all who responded.

I'm looking at German names in records from Umien Catholic church (a few miles north of Dabie), a 1817 birth record shows mother's surname as Dywel(owney), although we know her surname is Wolter/Walter.

Maybe this is the scribe's attempt to 'Polonize' the surname - which may be a garbled variation of 'Wlodek'

You may remember a short time ago that Dick Stein had difficulties with German surname becoming garbled in the Catholic records from area north of Sompolno.  I think a conspiracy was afoot by the Catholic clergy to garble German names, maybe because they were not happy to have Germans move into there turg.

Otto, where was Rudolf Walter in his adult years?

Rose Ingram