[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] B/M/D Records in Poland in 1700's

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 20 06:27:26 PDT 2008

Joe,

Your friend's review of her husband's ancestry includes a common
misconception that I like to clear up from time to time.  Catherine
the Great did NOT ask any specific ethnic or religious group to go to
Russia.  She did sign a Manifesto in 1763 that invited ANYONE with
the desire, to come and settle land within Russia, especially along
the Volga River region but in other areas as well.  Germans,
including Mennonites whether German or Dutch origin, responded in the
largest numbers.

Furthermore, large numbers of Mennonites moved into Russia after
Catherine's death in 1796.  They negotiated different terms of
settlement with her descendants, especially for land in the Black Sea regions.

And a final reminder for Volhynian Germans.  Germans did not migrate
to Volhynia under the protection of any official government
acts.  They came independently, many years after Catherine's death.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca