[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Arndt Familie.

Albert Muth albertmuth at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 19:22:54 PDT 2008

Hi,

As you may know, a lot of SGGEE people are at a convention this weekend in Kelowna, British Columbia and then may
be travelling for a while.? I hope they read all their email when they return.

It strikes me as interesting that you are more certain about the baptismal date, than the date of birth itself.? Perhaps, you
are questioning that the birth occurred in the same year?

The Volhynian births, marriages and deaths of German Lutherans are available publicly at
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ukrgs/volhynia/? If you are a member of SGGEE, there is a better search
engine that will bring all the names up in each category at ?http://www.sggee.org/members/StPeteMember
But you must be a member, it will ask you for a password

I am curious about the nature of the document that provides the date of baptism.? Have you ever had it completely
translated by someone with genealogical experience?? If you can describe the document (without forgetting to mention the
language in which it is written!), I am sure several readers will volunteer to help you get every last word.? I am not
criticizing your average German/Polish/Russian speaker on the street, but unless they are familiar with 1880's vocabulary,
spelling, and handwriting, they are likely to miss things that would be obvious to a genealogist with knowledge of those
tongues.

If you look in the 1880-1885 time frame, there is no birth for Rudolph Arndt.? But, there is one born in 1870.? See
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ukrgs/volhynia/vol187xb.txt? The whole family?might be worth exploring to see
whether you recognize other connections.? The significance of a birth in 1870 and a baptism in 1884 is that it
corresponds to the age at first communion,14 for Lutherans.? The confirmation could not take place without proof
of the baptism.?

I will poke around a bit in material that I have transcribed, but not yet posted to the members' only pedigree database
to see whether I see anything regarding the?marriage of the parents of 1870 Rudolph.

al muth
livonia, mi (usa)