[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mantay and Driesner families

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 29 06:08:41 PDT 2008

Welcome to our mailing list, Jorge.  I believe
you are the first person to ever write from Spain.

Sig has provided you with excellent information
concerning East Prussia.  I will not comment
further about that.  It seems that you are mixing
in some things about Volhynia and that is what I will comment about.

Volhynia was never part of Prussia.  Though most
Volhynian Germans were from Russian Poland, there
were significant numbers that arrived from East
Prussia.  After about 1900, there were also
significant numbers that returned from Volhynia
to East Prussia.  They spent several years there
before moving on to North and South America.

You state that David was born at Pullin,
Oletzko.  Since Oletzko was in East Prussia, I am
guessing that your data is mixed up a little
because there was a Pulin in Volhynia.  So:

- around 1900, your family was still living in
Volhynia, Russia (today northwestern Ukraine), perhaps near Pulin

- by 1911, they had moved to the region of Oletzko, East Prussia.

The Driesner, Felbel, and Mantai surnames can all
be found in Volhynia.  You can search the
extracted records yourself at
http://www.odessa3.org/collections/stpete/volhynia/
.  Unfortunately, they stop at 1885.  After that
time, and for the region around Pulin, no further
records are available.  It may, therefore, be
very difficult for you to make progress.

As for the specific village of Prascoff in
Volhynia, I am unable to find a reliable
match.  It appears to be so badly misspelled that
I cannot even guess at what it might be.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca