[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] ancestors from Galacia

josie Schmidt josie_schmidt at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:45:05 PST 2008

I am researching my relatives and thought if I threw out some names maybe someone would have by chance some of my relatives in their own genealogy that might help me out.  Some were from Glacia and other provinces surrounding.  Here is a list of some of the people I need more info.  The names listed sort of follow child, father, grandfather as I have no brothers or sisters of these listed just the lineage of mother and father.  They Ryz and Szczygiel family immigrated to Canada and settled first in Manitoba and then to Saskatchewan around Weyburn which they called the Worcester or Rainton area.

I am always to no avail valiantly searching my father's side but cannot get any information any farther than my Grandfather Gottlieb Koehler, born in Simonsfeld Austria.  I have had no success as to their true migration but have heard Slavgorod, Slawgorod, Alexanderheim, Bukmud, Heidelberg.  Gottlieb Koehler married Rosina Herring (Haering) and had many children of which 4 survived, Friedrich, Katherina, Agate and Margarete.  The came to Canada in 1929 from somewhere in Russia and settled in the Claybank, Springvalley region in Saskatchewan.  It is a problem that just seems unsolvable. It seems because of oppression they migrated to Heidelberg and Alexanderheim which I believe to be the Barnaul district or Slawgorod, but cannot find concrete proof.  I am asking all of you as I am amazed at your expert knowledge in research for help.  Are there organisations I should join and which ones.  Once you get the genealogy bug it really knaws away at you and I am determined to find the missing pieces.  The following names I believe pertain more to your list and they are on my mother's side (Pauline) as Antoni Rysz or Rys and Tecla Szczygiel were her parents.  The rest of the names are her descendants.

Wish me luck and I welcome any and all information and guidance you can give me.

Antoni Rysz or Ryz
Joseph Rysz
Michael Rysz

Tecla or Teckla Szczygiel