[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Milewski/Myskow clarification

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Dec 19 05:43:00 PST 2008

F&RM Haddad schrieb:
> But it really doesn't matter to me whether these ancestors are "ethnic"
> Poles or Germans. That was not at all behind my question. I'm a Canadian -
> we pride ourselves on our multi-culturalism. We're a melting pot - or is it
> mosaic. Or both.

Hello Rosemarie,

some 40 km southeast of Mlawa you can find several Milewo villages:

    Milewo-Rączki,
    Milewo-Kulki,
    Milewo Tabuły,
    Milewo-Szwejki,
    Milewo-Wypychi,
    Milewo-Ruszczyni and
    Milewo-Malonki.

Approximately the same distance to the southwest is another Milewo,
another one north of Płońsk and again others to the east and northeast
of Plawa but further afar.
If you would ask one of their inhabitants where he was born, he would
certainly answer "ja Milewski" [I am from here, I am a Milewian].

According to www.herby.com.pl there are 17534 MILEWSKI in Poland,
centered in the regions ot Warszawa, Suwałki, Łomża, Ciechanów; Gdańsk,
Olsztyn, Ostrołęka, Katowice, Wroclaw, Siedlce, Płock and others. Mlawa
is approximately in the midst of Płock, Olsztyn and Ostrołęka. Ciechanów
is just 25 km to the southeast.  Several MILEWSKI were born or are still
living in Mlawa:

    "Dariusz MILEWSKI, ur. w 1974 r. w Mławie",
    "Jacek MILEWSKI (Single location) - Bednarska 8. - Mlawa",
    "Dawid MILEWSKI z Gimnazjum nr 1 [in Mlawa]".

Briefly speaking: no translated German name.

Günther