[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Milewski/Myskow clarification

F&RM Haddad farose at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 18:51:45 PST 2008

Please, please let me clarify something re: my question on names. My
interest is purely "academic". I'm not clever enough to qualify as a nerd,
but I do have nerd-like leanings. I'd seen on the website about names and
what they are in Polish, and what they are in German. And I'm aware of
polonization of German names, and Marcin has pointed out to me that there
was also germanization of Polish names. Others have given insight into the
reasons for it. And I was/am quite intrigued in a purely academic way - and
wondered if there were other versions of these two names in my ancestry.

But it really doesn't matter to me whether these ancestors are "ethnic"
Poles or Germans. That was not at all behind my question. I'm a Canadian -
we pride ourselves on our multi-culturalism. We're a melting pot - or is it
mosaic. Or both.

And in my case, on my paternal side, my great-grandmother is Swedish.
Through her I have in my ancestry (so far, further research may bring up
more) Swedes, Norwegians, Danes, Germans (from Pommerania), Celts,
Anglo-Saxons, French, Swiss, Poles, Russians, Greeks, Spaniards - the list
goes on. I'm far from "pure" anything - and my children even less so, for I
married a man from the Middle East whose ancestry is Phoenecian (although by
how fair he is, I wonder about "Crusader Influence" in his past! <grin> ).

The Bible says that God has made of one blood all nations under heaven.
That's good enough for me.

Rose-Marie