[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Milewski and Myskow

Spaghettitree at aol.com Spaghettitree at aol.com
Wed Dec 17 15:53:58 PST 2008

I think Gary is correct, Rose-Marie.  I think it will help you enormously to
learn the Polish (and German) pronunciations, or maybe you have already done
so, along with the meanings of each section of these names and any and all
spellings as they evolve over time and place.  There were no single "correct"
spellings until around 100 years ago.

Here are some definitions I found:

In A Dictionary of German-Jewish Surnames:  Milewski - from a location named
Milewo in northeastern Poland (with Polish adjectival suffix "ski"), a Polish
and German surname.

Nothing in there for Myskow.

In Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings:  Mil-ancient dithematic names with
the root mily, "dear, beloved" - listing of about 35 names beginning with Mil-
incuding Milewski.  There are some 17,000 plus people in Poland with that
surname now.

Myskow:  Mysz- "mouse", or name element Mys, including Myszko and other
names.  The German word for mouse is Maus (my Cuxhaven grandmother Johanna called
her baby daughter Johanna "Maus" and she grew up to be known to all as Aunt
Mousie.  My father as a baby she called Hannamaus ("Jo"hanna's little mouse) who
grew up to be Henry, thank goodness.)

In A Dictionary of Surnames:  Maus - German nickname for someone supposedly
resembling a mouse, etc.  There are several derivatives, including the
habitation names in Polish - Myszk(or)owski.

No Milewski, but Mil - Czech, affectionate nickname for an attractive person
from Czech mily (diacritical over the y), dear, beloved.

The "ski" I believe indicates "from the estate or family of" whatever the
root is, but a Polish native may certainly correct that, or anything else here.

If you haven't already, go to Cindyslist.com - then Poland/Polish names, and
also poke around in all the search engines, Google, Yahoo, Ask, Dogpile.

Maureen Schoenky