[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] EWZ Files & Deportation to Siberia

Kyle Sattler kylesattler at sasktel.net
Tue Feb 12 17:23:54 PST 2008

Hello SGGEE members,

    I am asking for some help on my Zietz family from Ekaterinoslav,
Russia (southern Ukraine).  They were German Russians.  My great-great
grandfather, Bernhard Zietz (originally Sietz?) and his family
immigrated in December 1923-January 1924 as I have mentioned in previous
postings.  His father, Peter, died in 1916 in Russia.

     Bernhard's mother and siblings were still in Ekaterinoslav during
WWII.  I was wondering what records might be available for deportations
to Siberia or EWZ files.  I am not really familiar with EWZ files but I
believe that they were recorded for German Russians during WWII?  Did
they include the German Russians that got deported to Siberia to work in
the salt mines?

    I have been told that one of Bernhard's brothers, Aloysius, was
killed by revolutionists during the Russian Revolution as he was a
student at the university of Moscow.  I understand that they were prime
targets for Revolutionists.  Another brother, George, died at a young
age.  Bernhard helped George's widow immigrate to Canada.  From her he
found out that his mother, Regina (Malinovsky) Zietz and a brother,
Joseph, were sent to Siberia to work in the salt mines there.
Bernhard's mother, Regina, was 71 at the time of her deportation.  I
would think that she would be unable to do much labour in salt mines at
that age?

    If someone could help me out on this subject, that would be greatly
appreciated!

    Greetings from the Saskatchewan winter,

    Kyle Sattler